(415) 332-4262

Acoustical Plaster

Acoustical plaster is used in homes to give a textured finish. It also absorbs sounds and reduces echoes and is therefore commonly requested by people living or working in smaller spaces.

In the 1950s, acoustical plaster was made with asbestos because of its strength and ability to withstand high temperatures. However, despite its benefits, asbestos is an extremely hazardous material.

If inhaled, asbestos fibers can lead to the development of mesothelioma, a highly lethal form of cancer. The fibers can be released from the plaster when it cracks or breaks apart. The workers who installed the plaster may have also been exposed when they were mixing or spraying it in the first place.

Symptoms of mesothelioma usually do not develop until 30 to 40 years after asbestos exposure has occurred. However, signs to be aware of are:

  • Coughing
  • Pain in the chest, lungs, or abdomen
  • Difficulty in breathing or swallowing
  • Weight loss

If you or someone you know has been exposed to asbestos as a result of handling or being involved with Acoustical Plaster, and if you think such exposure may have caused you or your loved one to become ill with mesothelioma or any other form of asbestos related disease, please contact the lawyers at Clapper, Patti Schweizer & Mason for more information.