(415) 332-4262


If your home was built during or before the 1980s, your home may have been constructed with millboard and you should be aware of the potential dangers of this construction material.

Asbestos millboard was typically used in the construction of walls and ceilings around furnaces and wood-burning stoves where the fire resistant qualities of asbestos were needed. Though this product reduced the risk of fire in homes, it increased the risk of families developing asbestos-related diseases. In good condition, the product was not harmful. However, once damaged, tiny particles of asbestos are released. The particles can be lethal if they are inhaled.

Inhalation of asbestos can result in a various amount of health problems, the most serious being mesothelioma, a deadly form of cancer. There are no early symptoms of this disease. Unfortunately, signs of it do not develop until 30 to 40 years after exposure to asbestos has occurred. If you or a loved one are experiencing the following symptoms and believe exposure took place, contact a physician:

  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Coughing
  • Pain in chest or abdomen
  • Weight loss
  • Difficulty swallowing

If you or someone you know has been exposed to asbestos as a result of handling or being involved with Millboard, and if you think such exposure may have caused you or your loved one to become ill with mesothelioma or any other form of asbestos related disease, please contact the lawyers at Clapper, Patti Schweizer & Mason for more information.